Feature for February 2017
Preston Wayne (left) and his guys at Ralph's Diner, Worcester MA 11/9/16
Band Name: Preston Wayne 4
Genre: Hot rod surf - "King of the Whammy Bar"
Geographical Area: New England (band is from Worcester MA)
Interview with: Preston Wayne, January 2017, via mail
Band Formed in 1997
NESMA member since 2005
1. What is the current line-up of your band?
Preston Wayne -- lead guitar
Dave Kowalchek -- drums
Chris Cah -- bass
Kevin Smith -- co-founder and co-writer, guitar
Preston says "Although the P.W. 4 has been 3 for quite some time, co-founder and co-writer Kevin Smith will always be there whether in spirit and/or physically."
2. How and when did you get started with your band?
What bands or music have influenced you most?
So many names off the top of my head that have been major influences - I will narrow it down to my top 2: early Beach Boys (62-650 and early Jimi Hendrix (66-68).
4. What is the break down of cover vs. original material in your live shows and/or recordings?
Approximately 30% covers, 70% originals.
What recording have you done?
Preston himself has done a number of recordings with other projects, such as The Odds and The Time Beings. The Preston Wayne 4 recorded "Themes from Wayne Manor" on Dino Records in 2000.
6. What kind of gear do you use?
I use the same '57 Stratocaster that I payed a fortune for in 1985 - 30+ years with the same guitar!. I use a Marshall JCM 800 (amp). On bass, Chris uses an Ampeg SVT and an old Danelectro bass. Dave uses DW drums.
7. What is your bandís favorite food/beverage?
I like Busch Light.
8. How do you get gigs?
People ask us.
What are the difficulties you
find playing your kind of music in your area?
10. What positive attributes does your band have that sets you apart from other bands (of any genre)?
We're primitive but complicated at the same time. (well-put - ed.)
What have you found to be the
single most effective promotional tool youíve used to further your bandís
12. Whatís the most interesting performance experience youíve had?
Watching a guy get stabbed right in front of me while playing for the Hell's Angels.
13. What do you hope to get out of being a NESMA member?
World domination. (done! - ed.)